Cool Pico-8 game! It’s fun figuring out the movement in this game, the way that tools sort of trail behind you as you move make it feel like a puzzle game. I love the tileset you created, nice use of Pico-8’s extended palette to give the game its own unique look. Kudos. :)
welcome to the ocelot safari!
enjoy the ocelots, and do let us know if you find any long-lost relics deep in the jungle :)
- hold Z to drag things
- arrow keys to move
- ctrl-r to reset; ctrl-m to mute
- retrieve the lost gemstone of Tezcatlipoca! some say it’s as far as fvkgl-sbhe meters deep in the jungle!
- we’ll leave you some new tools at the initial drop point, if the ocelots steal your gear
- ocelots can crawl through vines and trees -- they're tricksters!
- be sure to bring some matches; the nights are long and dark and who know what lurks in the jungle...
I didn't make the time to make an interactive tutorial, so here's a video instead:
And here's a gif showing how to use each tool:
(light a fire by bumping matches into wood)
ludum dare / source code
this was made in 48 hours for the Ludum Dare 48 Compo; theme: Deeper and Deeper. This is my first time I've completed a Ludum Dare! :D
here's the jam page; rate my game! https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/48/ocelot-safari/
the source code is available at https://github.com/pancelor/ocelot-safari, or inside this image (drag/drop it into your local Pico-8 console)
good luck in there!
- My initial goal was to make a game exploring how items feel if you have no inventory system or “use item” button. I’d stumbled on a similar system (“tangible code”) recently and wanted to see if it would work again; more info here: https://pancelor.com/posts/linecook. Sometimes movement can feel a bit awkward, especially at the start, but that’s what the whole game is built around, so I think it’s fine.
- I really like how the nighttime and the ocelots make it a visceral struggle to advance deeper and deeper into the jungle. (although I do now think the deaths are too punishing)
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, HTML5|
|Made with||PICO-8, Aseprite, Sublime Text|
|Tags||2D, cat, Ludum Dare, ludum-dare-48, PICO-8, Pixel Art, Short, Singleplayer, sourcecode|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Gamepad (any), Touchscreen, Smartphone|
|Accessibility||Color-blind friendly, High-contrast, Textless|
|Links||Ludum Dare, Source code|
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.